- Do you have repeated, disturbing memories, thoughts or images
of a stressful or traumatic event?
- Do you feel intense distress when something reminds you of a stressful
experience from the past?
- Do you avoid activities or situations because they remind
you of a stressful experience from the past?
- Do you sometimes feel like you are re-living the event or that it is happening all over again?
- Do you have recurrent nightmares or distressing dreams about the traumatic event?
Trauma is defined as a deeply distressing or disturbing experience. Traumatic experiences can range from the small single-incident to being long-term, repetitive, and complex. Childhood abuse and trauma is particularly difficult and can continue to have significant impact for women and men into adult life.
Our trauma informed therapists can help you break free from the emotional hijack of traumatic experiences. Some of our therapists are specifically trained to use a variety of techniques including EMDR. It is an incredibly powerful tool for dealing with trauma and PTSD. EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, which is an integrative psychotherapy approach. This type of therapy uses a patient’s own rapid eye movement, to take emotionally charged memories out of traumatic events. Using eye movements, therapist can essentially reprogram the memory of a traumatic event to more positive or neutral emotions.